I have been dreaming of seeing Egypt for many years now and it looks like I will be able to go at the end of this year around Sept-Oct-Nov.
I have been doing a lot of research but am a little stuck on a few things. If anybody could help me it would be greatly appreciated. If you can only answer one or 2 of my questions your information would still be much appreciated. My queries are:
1. I have always been a bit concerned around the safety of travel in Egypt. I have read and heard stories about car crashes, robbery and obviously read the travel warnings about terrorist attacks. Have people who have travelled around Egypt experienced any safety concerns? Even small ones? One of my friends who is coming is female and she is concerned about safety of women in Egypt.
2. I am planning on doing The Nile and Beyond tour (this is a combination of Beyond the Pyramids and the Alexandria and Siwa Oasis tours). Has anybody been on these tours? How did you find it from the perspective of difficulty. The trekking through the desert seems like fun but how fit do you have to be to do it? How did you pack for the trip? How much did the trip really cost in the end excluding flights and gifts. Did the tour time itself such that you were able to get into the great pyramid?
3. Are there any issues with being Vegetarian in Egypt. Is it difficult to find vegetarian food and how do you get around it? I am specifically concerned about being able to eat during the Felucca ride.
4. How is the Felucca trip, is it worth doing? How do you find the use of bathrooms and toilets. I dont mind going without a shower etc for a few days but is it worth it and what exactly are the facilities? Did you get bored?
5. I normally wear contacts but am guessing that I will be confined to using glasses for this trip. Do you think this is the case? I was initially planning a semi-rough trip with some adventure activities but generally quite relaxed, im now moving to a more adventure style trip which is great but I am trying to figure out how to prepare for it. I have read the travel dossiers etc.
6. Is Dahab worth going to? I have read a few posts saying the place is very commercial and quite dirty with nothing to see? I was initially keen to go there to snorkel/dive. Is diving possible instead of snorkelling on this tour?
7. I have never dived before and was planning to learn how to before going and then diving somewhere out of Dahab. Is this the best way to go about diving in Egypt/Red Sea? Does the tour stop in Sharm-El-Sheikh? or is there no point going there if going to Dahab?
8. Is the Siwa Oasis worth seeing. The tour I am thinking of taking goes cycling around Siwa. Is this both safe and worthwhile?
9. Lastly in terms of Cairo and other large cities, what did you do at night after the days/tours activities were complete?
Thanks very much in advance. I realise I have a lot of questions posted, hopefully through everyones combined knowledge I can learn the answers to them all.