recently returned from egypt - would like to offer forum readers with upcoming trips to egypt a few hints to assist in your shopping adventures for simple things
- silk scarf with double side/bi color/fringe/sheer can be bartered for 10 LE in just about every bazarre in every color; compare to 25 LE on the melodie, or the vendor will start at 60!
- soft stripted cotton scarves with tied fringe come in so many color combinations - in Luxor, one traveler bartered for 15 LE, i got 4 for 45 LE - again vendor will often start at 60!
- 'pashima' labeled scarf - solid color with multi color stripe (many variations on this theme) sides - 20LE
- silk scarf that has light to dark shading and a palsey type pattern was only 10 LE
- 'camel' 'sheep' and 'gazelle' 'labeled' heavier scarves seen everywhere on the locals go for 25-30 LE! - vendor may start at 100 or higher
- more of a 'wrap' and heavier still, normally with reverse color pattern are 35-45 LE
perfume bottles - i got 7 medium size for 55 LE - think i could have done better if i had not spent so much time selecting and vendor knew i was 'attached' to them
egypt night dress up - depending on your tour, you will probably have time to shop off the boat - if you do, you can expect at least 50% difference (if not more) in various 'party' get ups; all the vendors know the cruise boats do the event and have huge selections.
t-shirt/polo shirt on melodie with cartouche - 40 LE(?) for child T, 55 LE for adult T/85 LE for polo - great quality -we got them - only came across one vendor (Asswan)that said they would deliver - did not have time to barter..
hope this is helpful - would have made my life simplier if i had had a clue as to what to expect!