We recently asked our tour leaders which tours were their favourites and one in particular kept cropping up - Journey Through Tibet. A 22-day tour encompassing China, Tibet and finishing in Nepal. It covers a lot of territory, however, you also get to see some amazing facets of this part of the world:
• All the famed highlights of Beijing (Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, the Great Wall) and Lhasa (the Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple plus the Sera and Drepung Monasteries
• Some of China’s best natural scenery (among the grassland of Xiahe, the mountains of Langmusi and at the UNESCO World Heritage site of Jiuzhaigou)
• A mix of small town and city living (from Beijing and Chengdu to the quaint little town of Songpan and the rural backwater that is Shegar).
• The Tibetan culture in China at the Labrang Monstery in Xiahe and at the Langmusi Monastery. And the Muslim influences and Qiang minorities at Songpan
• Wildlife in the form of Giant Pandas at Chengdu’s Breeding Research Base
• Tibet – one of the most impressive and amazing countries in the world. We travel out of Lhasa across the vast Tibetan plateau through the fascinating towns of Gyantse and Shigatse with their respective chortens and monasteries, crossing several high passes including the Karo La (5010 metres).
• Follow the Friendship Highway through the Himalayas, past Mt Everest and several other 8,000m mountains into Nepal with its contrasting scenery of terraced hillsides and lush valleys on our way to Kathmandu.
• Aside from the impressive palaces, monasteries and temples and the incredible scenery, the most wonderful experience is simply watching the Tibetan people. Many are making a pilgrimage to the Jokhang Temple (perambulating, chanting and saying prayers), others are shopping for bargains in the main market in Barkhor Square, while others are enjoying a cup of yak butter tea and chatting with their friends.
• The huge variety of cuisine from Peking Duck to the spicy dishes of Sichuan, the ‘momos’ or dumplings of Tibet to the cosmopolitan fare of Kathmandu.
• And last but not least the spectacular flight at dawn which takes us to Lhasa at 3650m. This is one of the most breathtaking flights in the world, as we cross over the soaring snow-capped mountain peaks of the Himalayas before arriving in the high Tibetan Plateau.
This tour has something for everyone - highly recommend for those seeking adventure and experience of new cultures and incredible scenery! For those with more limited time why not check out our 12 day Tibet Overland tour or our 13 day Tibet – Roof of the World tour, both visiting Tibet from Kathmandu?
Our tailor made adventure holidays will truly inspire and delight the senses and will live in your memory for ever.more info
Join us on one of our worldwide adventures coming up over the next few months - all guaranteed to depart, all at 20% off.more info