The Taj Mahal
Sight of the Month – the Taj Mahal!
One of the seven modern wonders of the world, no trip to India is complete without a visit to the Taj Mahal. Check out some quirky facts about this iconic sight and read more about our adventure tours to India!
Travel to the Taj Mahal the Imaginative Traveller way!
As one of the most famous landmarks on the planet, the Taj Mahal is likely to be high on the list of anyone taking an adventure holiday to India. ALL Imaginative Traveller adventure tours to northern India include a trip to Agra and the Taj Mahal. You can take the short but exciting 6 day ‘Golden Triangle’ tour from Delhi to Agra and Jaipur, combine the Taj with the Himalayas on one of our many India and Nepal multi-country adventure holidays or even take the ultimate Indian journey ‘India Encompassed’ visiting both north and south. No adventure tour to India is complete without visiting the Taj Mahal!
Taj Mahal Facts
- Emperor Shah Jahan built the Taj Mahal in memory of his wife, Mumtaz Mahal!
- He met Mumtaz Mahal when she was 14 – she died giving birth to their 14th child
- 20,000 workers took 22 years to construct it using 28 different varieties of precious stones
- The marble came from Rajasthan and was transported by over 1000 elephants
- The Taj Mahal cost approximately 32 million rupees (approx US $700,000)
- The exterior pillars were placed at an outward tilt to protect against earthquakes
- Only pollution-free rickshaws and battery-operated buses are permitted in the Taj Mahal area
Why visit India with Imaginative Traveller
Our itineraries reflect decades of client and Tour Leader feedback. With over 20 years of experience and expert knowledge we make our adventure and activity holidays to India very special.
- Small Groups – a maximum of 16. Less impact on the environment, more chance for cultural interaction.
- Value – affordable adventure holidays with plenty of inclusions and NO single supplements for solo travellers!
- Fun! Our small group adventure tours offer security and companionship as well as plenty of freedom and flexibility for you to make your own discoveries.
- Grassroots travel – stay with people you’ve only read about, visit places few have seen and use a variety of local transport to really experience the culture.
- Local leaders – they’re from the country we’re visiting! They speak the language, understand the culture, know the history and are passionate about their homeland. They’ll provide insights that you would never discover independently.
- Responsible Travel – at the heart of ALL our adventure and activity holidays to India. By using local leaders and small, locally owned hotels and restaurants we ensure that the economic benefits derived from your holiday remain with the communities that you visit.
You may only travel to India once so make the most of it on an authentic and affordable adventure holiday with Imaginative Traveller!