Photo Credit Creative Commons Nicole Kelly
Stepped in ancient traditions and flavours from Afghanistan, Persia and Central Asia, I think heavenly Kashmiri cuisine is one of the most underrated in the world!
The use of cardamom, cloves, mustard oil, saffron, mawal flowers, mint, yogurt and give the dishes a rich, aromatic and unique edge.
Here’s a delicious Kashmiri paneer recipe to try at home:
Tablespoon of mustard oil
250 grams of paneer
3 brown cardamoms
5 green cardamoms
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
a cup of passata tomato puree
2 tablespoons of puree
1/4 tsp dry ginger powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 teaspoon of asafoetida powder
1 cup water
Salt to taste
1. In a wok, shallow fry the paneer in the mustard oil until crisp and golden brown and then transfer to a bowl of water with the asafoetida powder.
2. Fry the brown cardamoms, green cardamoms, bay leaf and cinnamon until they splutter.
3. Add tomato puree, passata, salt, red chili, powder, dry ginger powder.
4. Add water and salt and simmer down.
5. Serve with steamed rice and a sprinkling of coriander.
Enjoy your meal!