Discovery and Adventure
Imaginative Traveller's Discovery trips are designed to showcase the very best a region has to offer; immerse yourself in the culture, spend time with local people and discover the real essence of a place.
You could find yourself learning the art of tajine-making at a homestay in Morocco, wandering the temples of Angkor Wat, taking a canoe safari in Botswana, lazing on secluded beaches in Cuba or marvelling at the ruins of Machu Picchu.
See the real country and experience life as the locals do. Tour the sights of the old imperial capital of Hue from the back of a motorbike, spend the night in a traditional Kazakh yurt along the Silk Road, or lose yourself in the aromas of Cairo's Khan al-Khalili Bazaar. These are trips that will get you into the heart of the local community, with homestays and dinners with local families.
Captivating culture & history
You’ll have plenty of time to explore the landmarks, from the temples of Southeast Asia and the monuments of South America to the historical sites of the cities of Europe and the natural splendour of the US National Parks.
Our expert and passionate local guides will show you around, give you lots of tips, and provide a true insight into the local way of life.
The world’s an amazing place and we want to do our bit to keep it that way. That’s why we choose to travel responsibly, giving back to the communities we visit and helping to create a sustainable world for our children.
Our Discovery trips
GROUP TOUR from £1030 for 10 days
- Explore Western Australia’s desert landscapes, national parks and spectacular Coral Coast in rugged style on the ultimate overland trip
- Enjoy the flexibility of a private vehicle, the local knowledge of a passionate guide and the magic of camping under the great southern sky
- Wade in the shallows of Monkey Mia beach and be amazed at the friendly dolphins that approach
GROUP TOUR from £1349 for 10 days
- Experience local life in Romanian villages and visit craftsmen
- Discover the beautiful landscapes of the Carpathian Mountains
- Medieval heritage; visit UNESCO sites of Sighisoara, Sibiu, Viscri
GROUP TOUR from £3055 for 10 days
- The structure of this trip allows you to see the highlights of the contrasting Hawaiian islands while also enjoying free time to do your own thing. With a fairly flexible itinerary, you'll really be able to 'hang loose' (this is Hawaii, after all)
- Enjoy a tropical sunset and views along Waikiki's shoreline in a boat with your fellow travellers
- Explore the diverse landscapes of the Kauai, Hawaii's 'Garden Isle'. From tropical beaches to powerful waterfalls, lush rainforest and narrow valleys, there's a piece of this island that will appeal to everyone
GROUP TOUR from £1316 for 10 days
- Experience the friendliness and hospitality of the Dusun people while enjoying lunch in a rural village
- Explore the unspoilt wilderness of the Kinabalu National Park while walking trails at the base of the iconic mountain
- Look over gloriously verdant rolling hills of tea with a night at a tea plantation, including a tour and sampling of delicious local varieties
GROUP TOUR from £1105 for 10 days
- One of the last remaining truly wild places on earth, Borneo offers rare treats for the nature lover – see Orangutans at the Semenggoh Sanctuary and the quirky proboscis monkeys in Bako National Park
- Discover the colourful history of the Iban people and spend the night in a traditional longhouse with a local family
- Explore one of the world’s largest cave networks and witness a sunset hunting exodus of millions of bats, twisting through the sky like a plume of black smoke in Gunung Mulu National Park
GROUP TOUR from £3749 for 10 days
- Track chimpanzees and other primates in Kibale Forest
- Search for the elusive tree climbing lions in Queen Elizabeth N.P.
- Spend a magical hour with Mountain gorillas in Bwindi
- Discover just how friendly and hospitable the Ugandan people are
GROUP TOUR from £1125 for 10 days
- Look for Bengal tigers and other wildlife on two safari excursions in Bardia National Park, where recent Nepalese efforts have resulted in tiger populations doubling since 2009.
- Explore the faded beauty and mural-lined corridors of Chaurasi Kutia, a deserted ashram made internationally known after members of The Beatles resided there in the 1960s.
- Watch the nightly Ganga Aarti ceremony unfold along the Ganges River in Rishikesh, gathering with the local community to watch this captivating ritual involving fire and music.
GROUP TOUR from £774 for 10 days
- The bustling markets, tree-lined boulevards and peaceful lakes of Hanoi are a great introduction to modern Vietnam
- Sail among the floating villages, grottos and limestone pillars of magical Halong Bay
- Explore the old imperial capital of Hue in typical Vietnamese fashion - on the back of a motorbike
GROUP TOUR from £2600 for 10 days
- Kickstart your adventure in Salt Lake City, with its big city vibe and small-town feel – this Mormon equivalent of Vatican City is home to a trendy street scene and a liberal spirit.
- Delve into the great outdoors in Yellowstone National Park – immerse yourself in the alpine forests, picturesque lakes and breathtaking landscapes on a 2-night stay in a rustic family run lodge.
- Perch yourself on a saddle-style bar stool in the cowboy town of Jackson and venture out on a full day trip to explore the magnificent wilderness of Grand Teton National Park.
GROUP TOUR from £1010 for 10 days
- Explore the less-known Indonesian island of Flores and experience the traditional ethnic cultures that live here
- Climb Mt Kelimutu before sunrise and watch its dazzling crater lakes shift colour in the morning light
- Pay a visit to the stunning 17 Islands Marine Park outside Riung and snorkel among the vibrant sealife and coral
GROUP TOUR from £1085 for 10 days
- Stay in a traditional wooden Longhouse in Sarikei, understanding how the locals have lived for decades and appreciating the welcoming hospitality of your hosts.
- Take a heritage walk around the vibrant Kuching, passing by its waterfront sights, and fix your hunger with a Sarawak laksa to finish!
- Visit the gentle giants of the jungle, the orangutan, at a rehabilitation centre in Sepilok. This organisation was set up to help reintroduce these endangered mammals sustainably back into the wild.
GROUP TOUR from £1810 for 10 days
- Spend a fascinating day exploring the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) on a guided tour. This strange stretch of land has been the place of much tension and political pressure ever since the Korean War.
- Take a street food tour of the renowned Gwangjang markets in Seoul feasting on bite-sized delights and indulge in an all-you-can-eat Korean barbecue experience with your small group.
- On your day trip to seaside Sokcho, discover the island village of Abai, which is home to hundreds of North Korean refugees having settled during the War.