Imaginative Traveller's Expedition trips are those that really push the boundaries of adventure! These are special departures that get into some incredibly remote and seldom-visited areas of the world, or aim for specific events or festivals. Truly off the beaten track, these are unique and imaginative itineraries that are as far away from the typical tourist experience as you'll ever get!
Far from the beaten trail
Whether experiencing life like a nomad as you traverse the Djibouti landscape, trekking through Colombian jungles to reach the incredible Lost City, or discovering tribal traditions in the seldom-visited and final frontier of Papua, Imaginative Traveller’s Expeditions will take you places few get the chance to visit.
The boundaries of adventure
Our imaginative Expeditions are far from standard itineraries. You might find yourself lacing up your running shoes for a marathon course along the Great Wall of China, exploring the Pamir-Alay region of Kyrgyzstan (often called the Asian Patagonia), or learning how to hunt and gather from the Yolngu people of East Arnhem Land. These aren’t trips for the faint-hearted.
Our expert and passionate local guides will show you around, give you lots of tips, and provide a true insight into the local way of life.
The world’s an amazing place and we want to do our bit to keep it that way. That’s why we choose to travel responsibly, giving back to the communities we visit and helping to create a sustainable world for our children.
Our Expedition trips
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £3835 for 0 days
- Camp amongst the lunar landscapes of Ladakh
- Encounter the spiritualism of Northern India in the Holy City of Amritsar
- Navigate the mountain passes of the Himalaya
- Stay in a houseboat on the waters of Lake Dal
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £5995 for 0 days
- Travel to one of the most remote and seldom visited regions on earth
- Hike among the thatched-hut villages and mountain grandeur of Baliem Valley
- Dive and snorkel in the real-life aquarium at Pulau Biak
- Interact with the unique tribal culture of the Dani people
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £2800 for 0 days
- Explore chimpanzee country in Kibale National Park
- Track wild mountain gorillas in Bwindi
- Interact with indigenous forest communities
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £1595 for 0 days
- Discover the bustling city of Bogotá by bike
- White water rafting on the legendary Rio Fonce
- Undertake an epic 4 day jungle trek to the Lost City
- Hammock camp in Tayrona National Park
- Explore the UNESCO Heritage city of Cartagena
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £1550 for 0 days
- Explore Osh, an ancient and pivotal center on the Silk Road
- Trek to the foot of Sabakh and Aksu Peaks - 5,000 meter snow capped giants
- Cross Udobniy Pass (4,410m), offering fantastic panoramic views of Uryam River and the surrounding ridges with their majestic peaks
- Experience the legendary hospitality of Kyrgyzstan local herdsmen
GROUP TOUR from £660 for 3 days
- Bolivia's Salar de Uyuni is the world's largest salt lake. Cross the perspective-bending white expanse in a 4WD with a local guide, making several fascinating stops along the way
- Uyuni was once a distribution centre for trains carrying minerals to the Pacific. Walk among rusty, abandoned trains in the old Train Cemetery
- As you explore the rocky island of Isla Wasi, rising from the salt pans and covered with flowering cacti, you might feel like you've stepped inside a surrealist painting
GROUP TOUR from £1099 for 8 days
- 4-star hotel with delicious food, warm family hospitality and wellness
- Tre Cime di Lavaredo, UNESCO World Heritage site
- Some weeks Challenging (level 5)
- SPECIAL OFFER on room upgrades
GROUP TOUR from £3235 for 8 days
- This Expedition is land-based, perfect for those suffering from sea-sickness who don't want to travel the region by cruise ship.
- Be welcomed into a local home to enjoy kaffeemik, a unique Greenlandic tradition and casual celebration where sweets and conversation are served up by the plateful.
- Stay on the edge of the famed Ilulissat Icefjord, watching frosted peaks of icebergs from the shore while you explore the village.
GROUP TOUR from £1845 for 8 days
- Traipse the rugged islands of Haida Gwaii, the isolated heartland of the Haida people. Archaeological evidence suggests they have called the islands home for 13,000 years.
- Spend a day on Louise Island. Take a guided tour among ancient totem poles being swallowed by moss and vines in Skedans, then enjoy a lunch of fresh-caught salmon and venison.
- Explore the Naikoon Provincial Park. This mixture of rainforest, sand dunes, wetlands and more than 150 kilometres of beach that features heavily in traditional Haida stories.
GROUP TOUR from £1099 for 8 days
- Walk on Mt Etna, Europe's highest active volcano
- See the continuous volcanic activity of Stromboli
- Discover the picturesque villages of the Aeolian Islands
- Walk around Vulcano's spectacular crater rim
GROUP TOUR from £1735 for 10 days
- Trek the majestic series of undulating amethyst peaks that make up the Simien Mountains on this hiking adventure through some of the world’s most unique and remote landscapes.
- Explore the medieval architecture of Gondar, including the elaborate Royal Enclosure – a World Heritage site home to dramatic Emperor-built castles unlike any other in Africa.
- Camp within the escarpment of the Simien Mountains and experience true African wilderness as you begin and end your trekking days with incredible sunrises and sunsets.
GROUP TOUR from £2800 for 10 days
- If your timing is right, you’ll marvel in the lights and wonder of the Snow Light Path festival in Otaru – one of the region’s oldest festivals to celebrate the winter wonderland that Hokkaido is.
- Escape the icy conditions by relaxing with a soak in a steaming onsen – a traditional Japanese hot spring.
- Discover the Ainu people at a village visit in Lake Akan. This indigenous community of Hokkaido have a rich culture and long-withstanding traditions which you will be able to learn about on your visit.