Imaginative Traveller's Expedition trips are those that really push the boundaries of adventure! These are special departures that get into some incredibly remote and seldom-visited areas of the world, or aim for specific events or festivals. Truly off the beaten track, these are unique and imaginative itineraries that are as far away from the typical tourist experience as you'll ever get!
Far from the beaten trail
Whether experiencing life like a nomad as you traverse the Djibouti landscape, trekking through Colombian jungles to reach the incredible Lost City, or discovering tribal traditions in the seldom-visited and final frontier of Papua, Imaginative Traveller’s Expeditions will take you places few get the chance to visit.
The boundaries of adventure
Our imaginative Expeditions are far from standard itineraries. You might find yourself lacing up your running shoes for a marathon course along the Great Wall of China, exploring the Pamir-Alay region of Kyrgyzstan (often called the Asian Patagonia), or learning how to hunt and gather from the Yolngu people of East Arnhem Land. These aren’t trips for the faint-hearted.
Our expert and passionate local guides will show you around, give you lots of tips, and provide a true insight into the local way of life.
The world’s an amazing place and we want to do our bit to keep it that way. That’s why we choose to travel responsibly, giving back to the communities we visit and helping to create a sustainable world for our children.
Our Expedition trips
GROUP TOUR from £1735 for 10 days
- Trek the majestic series of undulating amethyst peaks that make up the Simien Mountains on this hiking adventure through some of the world’s most unique and remote landscapes.
- Explore the medieval architecture of Gondar, including the elaborate Royal Enclosure – a World Heritage site home to dramatic Emperor-built castles unlike any other in Africa.
- Camp within the escarpment of the Simien Mountains and experience true African wilderness as you begin and end your trekking days with incredible sunrises and sunsets.
GROUP TOUR from £2800 for 10 days
- If your timing is right, you’ll marvel in the lights and wonder of the Snow Light Path festival in Otaru – one of the region’s oldest festivals to celebrate the winter wonderland that Hokkaido is.
- Escape the icy conditions by relaxing with a soak in a steaming onsen – a traditional Japanese hot spring.
- Discover the Ainu people at a village visit in Lake Akan. This indigenous community of Hokkaido have a rich culture and long-withstanding traditions which you will be able to learn about on your visit.
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £5995 for 10 days
- Travel to one of the most remote and seldom visited regions on earth
- Hike among the thatched-hut villages and mountain grandeur of Baliem Valley
- Dive and snorkel in the real-life aquarium at Pulau Biak
- Interact with the unique tribal culture of the Dani people
GROUP TOUR from £1630 for 11 days
- Sleep aboard a traditional klotok boat, traversing the winding rivers in Tanjung Puting National Park in search of local and endemic wildlife, including the elusive orangutan.
- Learn about the organisation working to rescue, rehabilitate and release the critically endangered orangutans at the Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation (BOSF).
- Appreciate a true local experience in Tumbang Malahoi village with a stay in a traditional longhouse. Receive a welcoming blessing ceremony and enjoy a night eating and dancing with local families.
GROUP TOUR from £855 for 11 days
- Learn about the Ma’nene death ritual, or the ‘ceremony of cleaning corpses’ – a 900-year- old tradition where the Torajan people dig up and spend time with the dead.
- Traverse some of Indonesia’s most stunning landscapes as you trek well away from the tourist trail, through evergreen valleys and bamboo forests, staying in traditional villages and interacting with locals.
- Soak up the tranquil atmosphere of Ramang Ramang village as you float along the river in a traditional wooden boat, surrounded by the stunning mountainscape and acres of emerald green rice paddies.
GROUP TOUR from £2435 for 11 days
- Get up close and personal with whale sharks in the Bay of Ghoubbet on a snorkelling adventure
- Sleep overnight in a traditional Afar hut at Campement Touristique d’Asboley, perched on a hill with spectacular views
- Watch sunrise from the shores of Lake Abbe, which featured in the original ‘Planet Of The Apes’ movie thanks to its famous chimneys, salt flats and hot springs.
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £1550 for 12 days
- Explore Osh, an ancient and pivotal center on the Silk Road
- Trek to the foot of Sabakh and Aksu Peaks - 5,000 meter snow capped giants
- Cross Udobniy Pass (4,410m), offering fantastic panoramic views of Uryam River and the surrounding ridges with their majestic peaks
- Experience the legendary hospitality of Kyrgyzstan local herdsmen
GROUP TOUR from £1275 for 14 days
- Traverse the unique peaks and folds of the Knuckles Mountain Range, uncovering the paths to remote villages and camping by secluded waterfalls.
- Soak up the stunning vistas from atop Sri Lanka’s rock-star monument, Sigiriya, after climbing the 1200 steps to the summit of the ancient rock fortress.
- Connect with a side of the Teardrop Isle that traverses off the tourist trail and trek the diverse landscapes that make up this island slice of paradise.
GROUP TOUR from £2650 for 14 days
- Truly off the beaten track, Kazakhstan sees few travellers, especially outside Almaty and capital Astana. Feel the remoteness of Central Asia on this one-of-a-kind expedition
- Visit dusty Baikonur, the hub of the Soviet – and now Russian – space program. Check out the Cosmodrome, the world’s oldest and largest spaceport, and witness a manned rocket launch
- Explore the Aral Sea, which suffered environmental and humanitarian devastation in the 60s due to Soviet irrigation projects. Enjoy a homestay with local friends and meet those working with an NGO to restore the area
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £1595 for 14 days
- Discover the bustling city of Bogotá by bike
- White water rafting on the legendary Rio Fonce
- Undertake an epic 4 day jungle trek to the Lost City
- Hammock camp in Tayrona National Park
- Explore the UNESCO Heritage city of Cartagena
GROUP TOUR from £2850 for 15 days
- Seeing the Bay of Fundy, home of the world’s highest tides, is an experience like no other. During low tide, you can walk among the towering ‘flowerpot’ rock formations carved by tidal erosion at Hopewell Rocks. During high tide, it’s possible to see whales from the shore. Oh, and it has 300 million-year-old dinosaur fossils too.
- Visit the World Heritage listed town of Lunenburg. Its picturesque crayon-coloured wood houses not only make the Old Town the best surviving example of a British colonial town in North America, it makes it incredibly photogenic. Don’t forget your camera.
- Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the east coast visiting five national and provincial parks: Prince Edward Island National Park, Caribou-Munroes Island Provincial Park, Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Gros Morne National Park and Terra Nova National Park.
GROUP TOUR from £2950 for 15 days
- Travel into stunning, sparsely-populated Far East Russian Siberia via two incredible feats of railway engineering – the Permafrost Express and the historic Baikal-Amur Railway – in the short window of summer.
- Explore Yakutsk, the largest city built on continuous permafrost, and wonder at the unique architecture and cultural practises born of the harsh environment.
- Celebrate the arrival of summer during the Ysyakh Festival, where the locals perform traditional Yakut sports, dance into the night and feast on local delicacies like roasted horse meat.