Imaginative Traveller's Expedition trips are those that really push the boundaries of adventure! These are special departures that get into some incredibly remote and seldom-visited areas of the world, or aim for specific events or festivals. Truly off the beaten track, these are unique and imaginative itineraries that are as far away from the typical tourist experience as you'll ever get!
Far from the beaten trail
Whether experiencing life like a nomad as you traverse the Djibouti landscape, trekking through Colombian jungles to reach the incredible Lost City, or discovering tribal traditions in the seldom-visited and final frontier of Papua, Imaginative Traveller’s Expeditions will take you places few get the chance to visit.
The boundaries of adventure
Our imaginative Expeditions are far from standard itineraries. You might find yourself lacing up your running shoes for a marathon course along the Great Wall of China, exploring the Pamir-Alay region of Kyrgyzstan (often called the Asian Patagonia), or learning how to hunt and gather from the Yolngu people of East Arnhem Land. These aren’t trips for the faint-hearted.
Our expert and passionate local guides will show you around, give you lots of tips, and provide a true insight into the local way of life.
The world’s an amazing place and we want to do our bit to keep it that way. That’s why we choose to travel responsibly, giving back to the communities we visit and helping to create a sustainable world for our children.
Our Expedition trips
GROUP TOUR from £1.0E+19 for 0 days
- This Expedition is land-based, perfect for those suffering from sea-sickness who don't want to travel the region by cruise ship.
- Be welcomed into a local home to enjoy kaffeemik, a unique Greenlandic tradition and casual celebration where sweets and conversation are served up by the plateful.
- Stay on the edge of the famed Ilulissat Icefjord, watching frosted peaks of icebergs from the shore while you explore the village.
GROUP TOUR from £1.0E+19 for 0 days
- Learn about the Ma’nene death ritual, or the ‘ceremony of cleaning corpses’ – a 900-year- old tradition where the Torajan people dig up and spend time with the dead.
- Traverse some of Indonesia’s most stunning landscapes as you trek well away from the tourist trail, through evergreen valleys and bamboo forests, staying in traditional villages and interacting with locals.
- Soak up the tranquil atmosphere of Ramang Ramang village as you float along the river in a traditional wooden boat, surrounded by the stunning mountainscape and acres of emerald green rice paddies.
GROUP TOUR from £705 for 3 days
- Bolivia's Salar de Uyuni is the world's largest salt lake. Cross the perspective-bending white expanse in a 4WD with a local guide, making several fascinating stops along the way
- Uyuni was once a distribution centre for trains carrying minerals to the Pacific. Walk among rusty, abandoned trains in the old Train Cemetery
- As you explore the rocky island of Isla Wasi, rising from the salt pans and covered with flowering cacti, you might feel like you've stepped inside a surrealist painting
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £2800 for 6 days
- Explore chimpanzee country in Kibale National Park
- Track wild mountain gorillas in Bwindi
- Interact with indigenous forest communities
GROUP TOUR from £1399 for 8 days
- 4-star hotel with delicious food, warm family hospitality and wellness
- Tre Cime di Lavaredo, UNESCO World Heritage site
- Some weeks Challenging (level 5)
- SPECIAL OFFER on room upgrades
GROUP TOUR from £2065 for 8 days
- Traipse the rugged islands of Haida Gwaii, the isolated heartland of the Haida people. Archaeological evidence suggests they have called the islands home for 13,000 years.
- Spend a day on Louise Island. Take a guided tour among ancient totem poles being swallowed by moss and vines in Skedans, then enjoy a lunch of fresh-caught salmon and venison.
- Explore the Naikoon Provincial Park. This mixture of rainforest, sand dunes, wetlands and more than 150 kilometres of beach that features heavily in traditional Haida stories.
GROUP TOUR from £655 for 8 days
- Begin in Flores – a charming river town perched on an island, where the locals are laidback and the lifestyle is even more relaxed.
- Challenge yourself to a trekking and camping experience deep in the Guatemalan jungle, where you can stray off the usual tourist route and have the comfort of knowing that all meals are included.
- El Mirador is one of the oldest ever discovered civilisations in Mesoamerica. Spend time on a guided tour to learn about the network of cities and explore the depths of the park at your own pace.
GROUP TOUR from £1199 for 8 days
- Walk on Mt Etna, Europe's highest active volcano
- See the continuous volcanic activity of Stromboli
- Discover the picturesque villages of the Aeolian Islands
- Walk around Vulcano's spectacular crater rim
GROUP TOUR from £1820 for 10 days
- Trek the majestic series of undulating amethyst peaks that make up the Simien Mountains on this hiking adventure through some of the world’s most unique and remote landscapes.
- Explore the medieval architecture of Gondar, including the elaborate Royal Enclosure – a World Heritage site home to dramatic Emperor-built castles unlike any other in Africa.
- Camp within the escarpment of the Simien Mountains and experience true African wilderness as you begin and end your trekking days with incredible sunrises and sunsets.
GROUP TOUR from £2940 for 10 days
- If your timing is right, you’ll marvel in the lights and wonder of the Snow Light Path festival in Otaru – one of the region’s oldest festivals to celebrate the winter wonderland that Hokkaido is.
- Escape the icy conditions by relaxing with a soak in a steaming onsen – a traditional Japanese hot spring.
- Discover the Ainu people at a village visit in Lake Akan. This indigenous community of Hokkaido have a rich culture and long-withstanding traditions which you will be able to learn about on your visit.
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £5995 for 10 days
- Travel to one of the most remote and seldom visited regions on earth
- Hike among the thatched-hut villages and mountain grandeur of Baliem Valley
- Dive and snorkel in the real-life aquarium at Pulau Biak
- Interact with the unique tribal culture of the Dani people
GROUP TOUR from £1725 for 11 days
- Sleep aboard a traditional klotok boat, traversing the winding rivers in Tanjung Puting National Park in search of local and endemic wildlife, including the elusive orangutan.
- Learn about the organisation working to rescue, rehabilitate and release the critically endangered orangutans at the Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation (BOSF).
- Appreciate a true local experience in Tumbang Malahoi village with a stay in a traditional longhouse. Receive a welcoming blessing ceremony and enjoy a night eating and dancing with local families.