Imaginative Traveller's Expedition trips are those that really push the boundaries of adventure! These are special departures that get into some incredibly remote and seldom-visited areas of the world, or aim for specific events or festivals. Truly off the beaten track, these are unique and imaginative itineraries that are as far away from the typical tourist experience as you'll ever get!
Far from the beaten trail
Whether experiencing life like a nomad as you traverse the Djibouti landscape, trekking through Colombian jungles to reach the incredible Lost City, or discovering tribal traditions in the seldom-visited and final frontier of Papua, Imaginative Traveller’s Expeditions will take you places few get the chance to visit.
The boundaries of adventure
Our imaginative Expeditions are far from standard itineraries. You might find yourself lacing up your running shoes for a marathon course along the Great Wall of China, exploring the Pamir-Alay region of Kyrgyzstan (often called the Asian Patagonia), or learning how to hunt and gather from the Yolngu people of East Arnhem Land. These aren’t trips for the faint-hearted.
Our expert and passionate local guides will show you around, give you lots of tips, and provide a true insight into the local way of life.
The world’s an amazing place and we want to do our bit to keep it that way. That’s why we choose to travel responsibly, giving back to the communities we visit and helping to create a sustainable world for our children.
Our Expedition trips
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £1550 for 12 days
- Explore Osh, an ancient and pivotal center on the Silk Road
- Trek to the foot of Sabakh and Aksu Peaks - 5,000 meter snow capped giants
- Cross Udobniy Pass (4,410m), offering fantastic panoramic views of Uryam River and the surrounding ridges with their majestic peaks
- Experience the legendary hospitality of Kyrgyzstan local herdsmen
GROUP TOUR from £1275 for 14 days
- Traverse the unique peaks and folds of the Knuckles Mountain Range, uncovering the paths to remote villages and camping by secluded waterfalls.
- Soak up the stunning vistas from atop Sri Lanka’s rock-star monument, Sigiriya, after climbing the 1200 steps to the summit of the ancient rock fortress.
- Connect with a side of the Teardrop Isle that traverses off the tourist trail and trek the diverse landscapes that make up this island slice of paradise.
GROUP TOUR from £2940 for 14 days
- Truly off the beaten track, Kazakhstan sees few travellers, especially outside Almaty and capital Astana. Feel the remoteness of Central Asia on this one-of-a-kind expedition
- Visit dusty Baikonur, the hub of the Soviet – and now Russian – space program. Check out the Cosmodrome, the world’s oldest and largest spaceport, and witness a manned rocket launch
- Explore the Aral Sea, which suffered environmental and humanitarian devastation in the 60s due to Soviet irrigation projects. Enjoy a homestay with local friends and meet those working with an NGO to restore the area
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £1595 for 14 days
- Discover the bustling city of Bogotá by bike
- White water rafting on the legendary Rio Fonce
- Undertake an epic 4 day jungle trek to the Lost City
- Hammock camp in Tayrona National Park
- Explore the UNESCO Heritage city of Cartagena
GROUP TOUR from £2850 for 15 days
- Seeing the Bay of Fundy, home of the world’s highest tides, is an experience like no other. During low tide, you can walk among the towering ‘flowerpot’ rock formations carved by tidal erosion at Hopewell Rocks. During high tide, it’s possible to see whales from the shore. Oh, and it has 300 million-year-old dinosaur fossils too.
- Visit the World Heritage listed town of Lunenburg. Its picturesque crayon-coloured wood houses not only make the Old Town the best surviving example of a British colonial town in North America, it makes it incredibly photogenic. Don’t forget your camera.
- Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the east coast visiting five national and provincial parks: Prince Edward Island National Park, Caribou-Munroes Island Provincial Park, Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Gros Morne National Park and Terra Nova National Park.
GROUP TOUR from £2950 for 15 days
- Travel into stunning, sparsely-populated Far East Russian Siberia via two incredible feats of railway engineering – the Permafrost Express and the historic Baikal-Amur Railway – in the short window of summer.
- Explore Yakutsk, the largest city built on continuous permafrost, and wonder at the unique architecture and cultural practises born of the harsh environment.
- Celebrate the arrival of summer during the Ysyakh Festival, where the locals perform traditional Yakut sports, dance into the night and feast on local delicacies like roasted horse meat.
GROUP TOUR from £2145 for 15 days
- The landscape out here looks like it’s straight out of The Jungle Book – and parts of this region are actually where writer Rudyard Kipling sought inspiration. Where exactly? Well, you decide.
- Get as close as you’ll ever be to the endangered Royal Bengal Tiger on one of your many safaris – commonly spotted in the conservation zones and reserves of this region.
- Whether it’s munching on luchi (deep-fried flatbread) in Kolkata or sipping Nawabi tea in Bhopal, the aromatic and diverse cuisine of India is all yours to explore.
GROUP TOUR from £3040 for 15 days
- Rub shoulders with the locals as you experience overnight train travel in Russia
- Meet the local Nenets people, the Siberian Arctic's indigenous reindeer herders
- Visit a traditional Nenets campsite and see the reindeers up close
GROUP TOUR from £2775 for 19 days
- Red Square has long been at the heart of Russian history – visit the austere mausoleum of Lenin, the initiator of the 1917 Russian revolution, contrasting with the eye-bulging treasure collection in the Kremlin and Armoury Museum
- Discover the secrets of Russia’s oldest kremlin in Novgorod and see the Millennium Monument, which tells the story of 1,000 years of Russian history
- Share in traditional tastes with a visits to the homes of our local friends in Suzdal & St Petersburg for a hearty home cooked meal, piles of pancakes and endless cups of tea
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £3835 for 19 days
- Camp amongst the lunar landscapes of Ladakh
- Encounter the spiritualism of Northern India in the Holy City of Amritsar
- Navigate the mountain passes of the Himalaya
- Stay in a houseboat on the waters of Lake Dal
GROUP TOUR from £3849 for 23 days
- ‘Door to Hell’ giant burning gas pit in Turkmenistan
- Islamic architecture and ruins along the great Silk Road
- Villages and lakes of the Fann and Tien Shan Mountains
- Post Soviet grand monuments
- History of traders, preachers and invaders