Weird and wonderful wildlife
Get up close and personal with some of the weirdest and most wonderful wildlife in the world, from the giant tortoise of the Galapagos to the poison dart frog of Costa Rica to the gelada baboon of Ethiopia. From the northernmost reaches of wild Finland to the vast plains of the Serengeti to the verdant islands of the Azores, there are few experiences more humbling than seeing amazing animals in their natural habitat. Whether seeing a humpback whale’s fluke disappearing into the water, learning how injured orang-utans are rehabilitated for life in the wild, or watching Brown bears from the safety of your hide in the Carpathian Mountains, you’ll come away from these encounters with a new-found appreciation for the wonder of life.
Imaginative Traveller's wildlife itineraries are carefully designed to include interesting activities, comfortable transportation, and a range of accommodation from wilderness camps to the ultimate mobile safari lodge, the Bush Rover. Talk to us today about our tailor-made wildlife holidays if you have something specific in mind.
You’ll be led by our passionate and expert local guides, who can answer any of your questions and give you an insight into how these incredible animals live.
Enjoy the safari of a lifetime from the comfort of the Bush Rover Suite, a full-working Land Rover that folds out, in situ, into a comfortable mobile home and wildlife-viewing point.
The world’s an amazing place and we want to do our bit to keep it that way. That’s why we choose to travel responsibly, giving back to the communities we visit and follow strict guidelines for viewing wildlife, respecting the environments that we visit and ensuring that animal welfare is not compromised in any way.
Our Wildlife trips
GROUP TOUR from £9400 for 8 days
- Your adventure begins in the most populated city in Patagonia, Punta Arenas. There are plenty of museums, restaurants and shops to keep you entertained before embarkation
- Flying from Punta Arenas to the South Shetland Islands is the fastest, most direct way of travelling to Antarctica and the view over the Drake Passage is unforgettable
- Witness penguins playing in their natural habitat at inland rookeries during daily Zodiac landings along the Antarctic Peninsula
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £750 for 8 days
- Watching some of the 25 cetacean species that can be found in the Azores
- Riding a mountain bike and paddling a kayak around the wonderful Sete Cidades Lake
- Tasting the famous Furnas “Cozido”, cooked only with steam of the earth
- Swimming in the deep blue sea with wild dolphins
GROUP TOUR from £1590 for 9 days
- Arrive early and discover Quito’s Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage, filled with colonial era buildings, boulevards of multicoloured mansions and gracefully ageing cathedrals
- Learn about the unique habit of the marine iguana. This dinosaur-like little creature has an iridescent sheen and is only found on the Galapagos Islands
- Many come to Isla Santa Cruz just for the giant tortoises. Get up close and personal with these enormous animals, as they drag themselves through the sand
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £3500 for 9 days
- Sit atop your Bush Rover Suite watching the wildlife spectacle with a sundowner before dinner
- From mid-July through to October, the camp is set up at a stunning private location on the Mara River to the north of the Serengeti, close to a Great Migration crossing point but away from the crowds
- Head down into the famous Ngorongoro crater for a game drive
GROUP TOUR from £780 for 9 days
- Gunung Leuser National Park is your best chance in all of Indonesia to see orangutans in the wild. This diverse ecosystem also harbours some 300 bird species and the endangered Sumatran tiger
- The excellent Bukit Lawang Eco Lodge provides a unique jungle experience, and by staying there you support the Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme
- Climb the Sibayak Volcano, enjoy a picnic at its spectacular summit, then head to local hot springs for some well-earned rest and relaxation after the descent
GROUP TOUR from £625 for 9 days
- Go on a safari through Kruger National Park, one of the largest game reserves in Southern Africa
- Feast on fresh Mozambican seafood at the seaside village of Ponta Malongane
- Visit the heartlands of the African Zulu and spend the night in a traditional homestay
GROUP TOUR from £1750 for 9 days
- Stay in a thatched tree house situated right on the edge of the Kavango River. It's designed specifically so you can see the sunrise through your toes from bed!
- Glide through the wildlife-filled waterways of the Okavango by mokoro
- Seek out elephant on a 4x4 game drive through Chobe National Park, home to Africa's most abundant herds
GROUP TOUR from £1110 for 9 days
- Pay the famous elephants and lions of Hwange National Park a visit from an open-air 4X4 vehicle
- Track rhinos on foot with an expert local guide in Matabos National Park – an exhilarating way to experience the wildlife of Zimbabwe
- Immerse yourself in the ancient culture of the Hananwa people at a small village in South Africa's Limpopo province. Listen to stories of this fascinating community as your hosts prepare you a traditional feast
GROUP TOUR from £3045 for 9 days
- With gorilla permits included in the price of the trip, seek out the rare mountain gorilla on a trek through Uganda's steamy forests and spend an unforgettable hour in their presence.
- Learn about Rwanda's devastating history with visits to different genocide museums and churches of significance
- Visit Mikozi Village and become acquainted with the Ugandan countryside. Visit the local markets, speak with a traditional Ugandan healer and enjoy a drink or two at the local bar
TAILOR MADE TOUR from £1195 for 9 days
- Spot fireflies on a night walk through the Monteverde Cloud Forest
- Spend the day with a family on a traditional Costa Rican farm
- Unwind on the pristine beaches of Manuel Antonio
GROUP TOUR from £3499 for 10 days
- Orca, Humpback and Grey whale watching with experienced naturalist guides
- Search for Black bears on the rocky shoreline of Clayoquot Sound
- Observation of the 'mythical' Grizzly bear in its natural surroundings
- Vancouver Island, the largest island on the North American Pacific coast
- Walking tour of Pacific Rim National Park
GROUP TOUR from £2600 for 10 days
- Get acquainted with the beautiful churches and graceful boulevards of Quito, Ecuador's capital
- Snorkel the incredible marine life-filled waters of Kicker Rock, also known as Leon Dormido, one of the best snorkelling spots in the Galapagos and an absolute highlight for many travellers
- The Galapagos Islands played a profound role in forming Charles Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection. Explore the islands on this in-depth adventure, coming face-to-face with some of the most extraordinary wildlife on earth